Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The new RMAC "Roadster Mini Air Cushion"

For about a year I have been inventing small things that will keep me cool/warm when driving my Roadster with the top down. During the summer here in Japan it gets very hot and I tend to sweat so much that when I get outa my car, my butt and back are soaked. It is very embarrassing to walk into a store with a wet bottom, and very uncomfortable to drive when sweating all over as well.
During the winter it gets cold, but not so much snow so I can drop the top. But I freeze my butt off!
So last year I invented the RAC "Roadster Air Cushion" It was a cushion that connected to the AC foot duct and blew warm/cold air on my back and bottom. After showing people many were interested, so I started to sell it on my website. Then I made a mini air cushion which only blew air on the bottom. They both worked very well, however a few complained the cushions were to large for the NC's seat. And also that the fan was in the way while driving. I agreed so I started working on a new design

After many months I now have a new cushion I have designed. It fits at the bottom of the NC seat perfectly, and now the fan is located in the back so it's not in the way of driving. I made it a bit thinner and smaller as well. I totally changed the cushions insides to allow more air flow to blow out the small holes. The tube still connects to the AC foot duct, but now it goes underneath the seat and connects to the cushion in the back were the fan is located. My wife added 2 straps which go under the seat and hold the cushion in place so it don't move around. The fan power switch can be connected on the side of the seat, or down below near the reclining adjuster. I also added a pad to cushion my legs as I drive. I'm thinking of selling this on my website very soon, so check it out!
The old cushion was to large for the NC's seat.

So was the smaller cushion, it hung over the edge and got in the way of driving.


The new mini cushion don't get in the way of driving and has the fan located behind the seat.

The hose still gets connected to the AC foot duct, which blows the air through the tube into the cushion.
The hose is connected to the cushion behind the seat.

Once the hose is connected, it is covered by a velcro cover my wife made.

My wife made 2 clips which slide under the seat and connect in the back to hold the cushion in place.
The fan control switch can be placed on the side of the seat, or anywhere near. Cut the fan on and the AC and air blows out the cushion.
Here is the mini cushion all installed. The reason it don't go further up is because that would interfere with your legs as you drive. The position it's at is comfortable and once you use it a few times you get used to it.