Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Updated Left hand drive floor mat

Before my wife made a right hand drive floor mat to use in my NC. It turned out very nice and you can view it further down on this page. However we found out that Japanese and American floor mats are different in the NC! You would think they would be the same shape, but they aren't. So she made a left hand drive floor mat which turned out even better! The passenger side isn't done yet but the drivers side is all finished. Here are some pics of all the hard work she put into it.

First I used the American factory standard floor mat as a template and traced it onto some black carpet. Then I cut it out for a perfect fit. This time we wanted a heal pad, so I found a rubber piece and cut it into a nice shape and my wife sewed it on.

My wife then used her sewing machine and embroiderd MX-5


She then sewed it onto the mat and made a black border around it.

We needed something strong on the back so the mat don't slip and move around. Thick rubber would not work because my wifes sewing machine can't handle it. So we found a thin strong rubber that is used on floor surfaces to prevent slipping. We couldn't find black so we had to use blue, but the back don't get seen anyway. My wife sewed it on and it works just great!

This is what it looks like almost done, my wife sewed some lines on the heal pad to make it look better.

Next she used a red trim around the edges, she had to sew it on by hand first so it stays in place. That took her many hours because the carpet and rubber is thick and hard to stick a needle through. Then she went over it with her sewing machine.

After I cut 2 holes and stuck in the eyelets which hold the mat in place once installed. Once that was done the floor mat was all done! It took an entire day to finish just one.

Here is a close up picture of the heal rest, this turned out great and will prevent holes.

A close up of the MX-5 embroiderd logo.

Here is the mat all finished, looks great and the exact same size as the original for a perfect fit! I will be selling these on my website, www.blazecustoms.com very soon. Everyone will be able to choose what color trim goe's around the edges, what text they would like written and text color as well. Of course it will have the drivers and passengers side!